ADSM-L

Re: Updated Last Access Times - NT client/McAfee/Outbound files

2001-08-01 07:33:21
Subject: Re: Updated Last Access Times - NT client/McAfee/Outbound files
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 07:34:07 -0400
>Hi, everybody.  We're experiencing a situation where the Last Access times
>on the fileserver are updated for a huge number of files, about half the
>data on the server.

Alex - I'm not aware of any platform on which the Last Access times
       are *not* updated by TSM in any Backup/Archive operation.
The product utilizes standard data access methods in each client
operating system, and reading the file to send it to the server
causes this timestamp to be updated.  Some file systems accommodate
backups via snapshotting or the like, which avoids the timestamp
issue, but most file systems provide no such accommodation.

  Richard Sims, BU