ADSM-L

Updated Last Access Times - NT client/McAfee/Outbound files

2001-07-31 18:05:40
Subject: Updated Last Access Times - NT client/McAfee/Outbound files
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:06:23 -0700
Hi, everybody.  We're experiencing a situation where the Last Access times
on the fileserver are updated for a huge number of files, about half the
data on the server.

Server:   AIX 4.3.3 TSM 4.1.3.2

Client:   NT4 SP6 TSM 4.1.1.16
McAfee:   Server version 4.5
Filescan: Outbound files enabled  (I know, not a great idea, but there are
political considerations.)

We're preparing to implement the new HSM product for Windows (the rebranded
OTG DiskExtender), but with the last access times getting updated during the
backup, writing meaningful rules is difficult.  We've been able to
demonstrate that, when we disable Outbound files in McAfee, we no longer
have the huge amount of files with access times from during the last backup.
However, we haven't been able to recreate the behavior for Tivoli support
using a smaller, more controlled backup for tracing purposes.  I shudder at
the thought of tracing the entire backup of a 600GB fileserver.

Has anybody else seen this, know of this, or might be willing to try
recreating it?  Helpful thoughts?

Thanks,
Alex

"WorldSecure <Freightliner.com>" made the following
 annotations on 07/31/01 14:55:48
[INFO] -- Content Manager:
[INFO] -- Content Manager:
The information contained in this communication is confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and others
authorized to receive it.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by phone if
possible or via email message.