ADSM-L

Re: TSM quick questions

2001-07-31 09:41:54
Subject: Re: TSM quick questions
From: Mauricio Angelino Massa <mmassa AT BR.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:41:57 -0300
Del, thanks for answering. For the last question,  the database runs on
Oracle. I've checked the page you mentioned and with the interface with
RMAN, TSM is able to perform the backup of transation logs. Is it the same
for "file groups"? By the way, what does "file groups" means?
For the first question, do you think that the "copy storage pool" option
can do the job?
Regards,
Mauricio

                    Del
                    Hoobler/Endicott       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    /IBM@IBMUS             cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:        Subject:     Re: TSM quick questions
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    31/07/01 10:22
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

> Quick ones:
> - Is TSM able to backup the same data into more than one drive
>   at the same time (cloning)?
> - Is TSM able to perform individual (per user) restore of
>   mail boxes under Notes or Exchange?
> - Is TSM able to backup database transation LOGs and file groups?

I can answer a few questions...

TDP for Exchange does not do individual mailbox or brick level
backup and restore.

TDP for Notes (supported only on R4) backed up at the item level.
But, since it only works with R4, it will being going away soon.

TDP for Domino (supported on R5) backs up at the database level
and since each user has their own database in Domino, then
the answer would be yes, you can restore each user's mailbox individually.
TDP for Domino supports archival transaction logging in
Domino R5 and will back up the transaction logs.

Your last question does not specify what database system you
are referring to.  If you are referring to Microsoft SQL Server,
then the answer is yes.  With TDP for SQL version 2.2, you can
back up transaction logs and filegroups.

For more info, I highly recommend:

   http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/storage_mgr/addbase.html

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono