ADSM-L

Re: Backup Scheduling

2001-07-27 09:57:45
Subject: Re: Backup Scheduling
From: Francisco Reyes <lists AT NATSERV DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:00:31 -0400
On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Len Boyle wrote:

> In article <sb617c42.057 AT HEALTH-ES2.HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>, Steve Harris
> <STEVE_HARRIS AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU> says:
> 2) If you need to keep a snap shot of data for a long time  without the
>    need to keep the data in the tsm data look at the backupset
>    function to snap a copy of the active fileset on a tape set that
>    can be removed from the tsm server.

I just read the description for the backupset and I don't see how it can
be used as a snap shot. I didn't really understand from reading that what
is that the backupset is or does. In particular I don't see how it would
do what Len wrote above .. "keep a snap shot of data for a long time
without the need to keep the data in the tsm data". Does that mean that
the backupset is not tracked by the DB? It seems TSM remembers or tracks
the existance of the backupset since there is a parameter for that, but
what does that keep track of?

Thanks.