ADSM-L

NT drive mappings

2001-07-27 07:38:08
Subject: NT drive mappings
From: "Thomas, Matthew" <Matthew.Thomas AT LLOYDSTSB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:19:05 +0100
We've got two TSM 4.1 servers running on NT4 testing boxes which are
SAN-connected to a 3494 tape library.
Intermittently the drive definitions for the servers get screwed up when the
boxes are rebooted and Windows merrily re-assigns the devices (for example
mt1.0.0.6 becomes mt1.0.0.4). Trawling through the registry gives the new
device info so we can update the drives in TSM as necessary so that it
matches up, however this is a bit of a long winded process which won't be
acceptable to our support staff when the servers go into 'live' status.

My question is:
Is there a way of forcing NT to stick with the same devices when the server
is rebooted, and if not, is there a more elegant way of grabbing the device
details (since the frontline support guys probably won't be allowed to go
hacking around in the registry) and perhaps dropping them into a script to
update the drive definitions in TSM?

Many thanks,
Matt Thomas
Storage Support

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee.  It may contain
This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee.  It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it.  If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

evolvebank.com is a division of Lloyds TSB Bank plc.
Lloyds TSB Bank plc, 71 Lombard Street, London EC3P 3BS.  Registered in
England, number 2065.  Telephone No: 020 7626 1500
Lloyds TSB Scotland plc, Henry Duncan House, 120 George Street,
Edinburgh EH2 4LH.  Registered in Scotland, number 95237.  Telephone
No: 0131 225 4555

Lloyds TSB Bank plc and Lloyds TSB Scotland plc are regulated by the
Personal Investment Authority and represent only the Scottish Widows
and Lloyds TSB Marketing Group for life assurance, pensions and
investment business.

Members of the UK Banking Ombudsman Scheme and signatories to the UK
Banking Code.