ADSM-L

Slow restore transfer rate.

2001-07-25 19:57:41
Subject: Slow restore transfer rate.
From: Andrew Miller <Andrew.Miller AT SALMAT.COM DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:43:44 +1000
All,

I have inherited several ADSM server/client configurations and have noticed slow
restore transfer rates.

Two systems that I have tried so far are ;

RS/6000 E30
AIX     4.3.2
ADSM Server 3.1.2.50
ADSM Client 3.1.20.6
Library     Exabyte EZ17 (7 cart, single drive)

RS/6000 H50
AIX     4.3.2
ADSM Server 3.1.2.50
ADSM Client 3.1.20.6
Library     IBM 3570 (19 cart, single drive)

When backing up files I get good transfer rates, on the H50 the aggregate rate
for a single 10MB file was 2,536.23 KB/Sec.

However on restore the rate was 72.49 KB/Sec.

This is the dsmserv.opt, dsm.sys and dsm.opt from the E30

COMMmethod TCPIP
COMMmethod SHAREDMEM
COMMmethod HTTP
LANGuage en_US
VOLUMEH /data/adsm/volhist_001
VOLUMEH /var/adsm_db_backup/volhist_002
VOLUMEH volhist
DEVCONF /data/adsm/devices_001
DEVCONF /var/adsm_db_backup/devices_002
DEVCONF devices

*//ADSM_LOCAL_SERVER_STANZA
Servername         localSrv
*TCPPort            1500
*TCPServeraddress   pc1360
Inclexcl           /usr/lpp/adsm/bin/backup.excl
passwordaccess     generate
*commmethod         sharedmem
commmethod         tcpip
schedlogname       /data/adsm/sched.log
schedlogretention 30 d
*//END_ADSM_LOCAL_SERVER_STANZA

virtualnode        client
Servername         localSrv

Any thoughts on the slow transfer rate ?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Miller.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential to Salmat Pty
Ltd intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error please return to the
sender and delete from your systems.

This e-mail message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses known
to Salmat's virus patterns.

Salmat Pty Ltd  ACN 066 833 458