ADSM-L

Re: LARGE FILE BACKUPS THROUGH A FIREWALL.

2001-07-16 13:31:45
Subject: Re: LARGE FILE BACKUPS THROUGH A FIREWALL.
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:32:27 -0500
On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:14:35 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm running TSM Server, ver 4.1, on OS/390 and I'm having problems backing
>up large files from our Web Production NT/2000 servers through our IBM AIX
>Firewalls running Checkpoint.  I got a 25 GB SQL DB that takes over 40-50
>hours to backup.  I've tested the same backup but bypassing the FW's and the
>backup took only about 1 hour!  It is not only the SQL DB but any large file
>takes a tremendous amount of time to backup through the FW.   I've called
>TSM support and they basically said it was a networking issue (no surprise
>there).  I'm suspecting something like NAT is confusing TSM.  Any Ideas?

It's a larger issue than that. Backups through a firewall are not
supported in TSM (officially).

Two suggestions:

1. Use prompted scheduling, rather than polled. This allows you to
specify the TCP port used for server-client communication. (The
default for prompted schedules is 1500.) Keep in mind that if you set
up multiple machines in this manner, and they are performing
concurrent backups, they'll all be using the same port, thus impacting
throughput.
2. Make sure that the proper TCP ports are open. The defaults are 1500
and 1501; they need to be open to traffic in both directions.