ADSM-L

Re: backup DB doesn't reflect discarded data from TAPE DELETE

2001-07-11 10:48:46
Subject: Re: backup DB doesn't reflect discarded data from TAPE DELETE
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:49:30 -0400
>...I did a
>SELECT * from backups where backup_date < '2001-04-02' .   The results
>should have shown data that was backed up on
>2001-04-01. BUT THERE IS A LOT OF DATA THAT  WAS BACKED UP ALL THE WAY BACK
>TO 2000-12-xx.
>What is going on here?  Why is the data there?  Shouldn't it have been
>expired and the DB cleaned up?

In addition to the Expire Inventory mentioned by David:
We don't have the benefit of knowing what the output of the Select showed.
If the STATE value is ACTIVE_VERSION, then the file instance will sit there
indefinitely, until the file is either deleted from the client or excluded,
and an Incremental Backup is performed.

  Richard Sims, BU