ADSM-L

Re: Change IP Address

2001-07-03 10:46:58
Subject: Re: Change IP Address
From: Tom Tracy <Tom_Tracy AT NOTES.NTRS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:52:56 -0400
Gill -

I've done this (albeit not on a TSM server), and, although there might be a
command you could enter at the command line to make these changes, you can also
easily do this using smit.  If you enter 'smit tcpip', then select 'Minimum
Configuration & Startup', then select your network interface from the list,
you'll be able to change the host's IP address, network mask, default gateway
address - even your name server's IP address.  And, if you change 'Start Now' to
'Yes', I don't think you'll need to IPL the box.

A couple of caveats, though (from experience) - after you make the changes in
smit, check your /etc/hosts & /etc/resolv.conf files.  smit seems to not clean
up the old entries in these files and instead just adds the new entries.  You'll
want to remove the reference in /etc/hosts to the host's old IP address, and, if
you changed name servers, remove the reference to the old name server in
/etc/resolv.conf.  Not doing this can cause you grief (in my case, NIS freaked
out).

I hope this helps!  Good luck.

Tom Tracy
Sr. Database Administrator (& AIX Systems Administrator & TSM
Administrator.....)
NTRS, LLC
ttracy AT ntrs DOT com

From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM> on 07/02/2001 06:22
PM

Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

 To:   ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu

 cc:   (bcc: Tom Tracy/ATL/NTRS)

 Subject: Change IP Address

For the AIX crowd out there,

I need to change the IP address on my ADSM server this weekend. I want to
know if there are any pitfalls I should look out for. It's not just an IP
change on the same network, I'll be changing the IP, NETMASK and Default
Gateway.

Questions:
Since I'm not totally AIX literate yet is there a command line command I can
use that will do all 3 at once?

Should I plan on rebooting the box after this change?

Thanks for the help.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer