ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 3.1.2.90 on AIX 4.3.3-06

2001-07-02 17:56:26
Subject: Re: ADSM 3.1.2.90 on AIX 4.3.3-06
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:57:03 -0600
        I'll take a stab at a possible solution if you haven't found a
solution yet.

        As we upgraded our ADSM servers to latter versions of the OS and the
TSM server software, we experienced significant slowdowns on the system
especially when there were multiple sessions or processes going on. We
eventually found our answer in the readme file for the TSM server. I believe
this  bit us when we upgraded the OS as you did.

Here are some notes from the readme file for version 4.1.1.

_______________________________
* Possible performance degradation due to threading                  *

On some systems Tivoli Storage Manager for AIX may exhibit significant
performance degradation due to TSM using user threads instead of
kernel threads.

This may be an AIX problem however, to avoid the performance degradation
you should set the following environment variables before you start
the server.

    export AIXTHREAD_MNRATIO=1:1
    export AIXTHREAD_SCOPE=S

        Not having these 2 settings basically turns your multi-threading
machine into a single-threaded process and performance really gets bad.

        Making these changes don't require a reboot, so it's worth a shot to
add these in, make sure they get sourced into your current environment (by
logging out & back in, or just running these 2 lines) and then stop and
start the ADSM service.

Ben Bullock
Unix system manager
Micron Technology Inc.