ADSM-L

log and db volumes on emc symmetrix disk

2001-06-28 17:06:07
Subject: log and db volumes on emc symmetrix disk
From: Joel Fuhrman <joelf AT CAC.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:07:10 -0700
A long time back there was a discussion as to whether it's better to have
one or multiple tsm volumes per physical disk.  As I remember, the answer
was: assuming the entire physical disk volume was being used by one storage
pool, it was best to create one large tsm volume rather than several smaller
volumes to avoid disk IO contention.

I will be moving my db and log volumes stand alone disk to an emc symmetrix.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to number of tsm volumes that should be
created for each emc logical drive?  Would it be best to put 1 4GB, 2 2GB,
or 4 1GB database TSM volumes on 1 emc logical volume?