ADSM-L

Re: Database backup performance

2001-06-27 11:03:17
Subject: Re: Database backup performance
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:03:58 -0400
Our DB is 13.5GB, 65% utilized.  Full backup in 30 minutes to IBM 3575 library
with C-XL drives.
TSM 3.7.4.0 on AIX 4.3.3, IBM RS6000 F50.

David Longo

>>> zforray AT VCU DOT EDU 06/27/01 09:37AM >>>
Any suggestions on how to improve DB backup performance ?

Doing a FULL DB backup of our 15GB ADSM (yes, not TSM YET. Hoping to
convert to 4.1.3 RSN !!) server, sometimes takes 4-hours.

Since I read a previous message about someone having a 52GB DB, I was
wondering how long it takes to backup that much DB since my meager DB takes
sooooo long ? Note, there is no "operator delay" since it goes to a 3494
ATL, using 3490E drives. I was thinking about moving it to 3590 MAGSTAR but
wasn't sure if it would make much of a difference since the only real
change would be reduction/elimination of tape mounts (currently uses
9-cartridges). Since it is a robot, this would save a few minutes at most.

I have tried increasing the BUFPOOL value (from 32MB to 80MB) with little
noticable improvement. I still haven't reached/sustained the illusive 98%
Cache Utilization !

Since the ADSM address space working set size has often exceed 110MB, I was
wondering what was reasonable (or expected) for thise size DB. How much
further should I increase the BUFPOOL value ?

===========================
Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University
University Computing Center
e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu
voice: 804-828-4807

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 06/27/01 11:07:49
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.