ADSM-L

Re: Recovery log Pct. Utilized

2001-06-25 11:21:17
Subject: Re: Recovery log Pct. Utilized
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:22:08 -0700
>Are there any processes or sessions running?  They could be holding the log
>utilization up.

This is a tough one to answer Nick. The server kicked me out the first time
I tried to query anything. I was lucky enough to have a console window open
and could see the system wasn't allowing anyone to get in, backups were
either missed or failed. Unfortunately I don't know the exact message that
was scrolling the screen but it was related to the log being full, and
obviously since the log was full it didn't write to it. The last log entry
was about 10:45 PM then it picks up again after I extended the log and
restarted at 5 AM.

I could see during that evening the server was getting lots of log entries
for this "Session open with XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX failed due to connection
refusal". There are quite a few other servers which had the same thing going
on so there are hundreds of these. Unfortunately I don't have acces to these
nodes to stop and start the Scheduler service to make the backup kick in.

I obviously never expected this to happen to me. With as few backups I have
on Saturday night, doing one db backup and one incremental daily I thought
was enough to keep a 4GB log from filling up. I can see that I was mistaken
and have now taken the necessary steps to, hopefully, not see this again.

The burning question still is this: If I have scratch tapes available, a
schedule with 1 full and 1 incremental db backup daily about 12 hours apart,
and the log fills, will the full or incremental db backup be able to run and
clear the log or do I still have to shutdown and make space?

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC