ADSM-L

Re: Recovery log Pct. Utilized

2001-06-25 10:41:42
Subject: Re: Recovery log Pct. Utilized
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:14:12 -0400
Geoff,

Are there any processes or sessions running?  They could be holding the log
utilization up.

I've also seen it take a while to commit the log to the database after the
backup ends - you have 4GB of transactions in the log to commit to the
database there, and, depending on your system, that could take a while
(especially if the log and DB volumes are on the same spindle).

When this happens to someone on my team, I always caution patience - "the
watched log never clears."

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

                    "Gill, Geoffrey
                    L."                    To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <GEOFFREY.L.GILL       cc:
                    @SAIC.COM>             Subject:     Recovery log Pct.
Utilized
                    Sent by: "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    06/24/01 09:12
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Can anyone here or from Tivoli explain why the recovery log percent
utilized
doesn't reset to 0 as soon as the full database backup is complete? This is
very annoying, especially since I was called at 3 AM. I'm sitting here with
sessions disabled to minimize activity, waiting for this damn thing to
reset. I hate to enable sessions now had have to go through this whole
thing
again....

       Available Space (MB): 4,196
     Assigned Capacity (MB): 4,196
     Maximum Extension (MB): 0
     Maximum Reduction (MB): 88
          Page Size (bytes): 4,096
         Total Usable Pages: 1,073,664
                 Used Pages: 1,050,659
                   Pct Util: 97.9
              Max. Pct Util: 97.9
           Physical Volumes: 4
             Log Pool Pages: 2,048
         Log Pool Pct. Util: 0.05
         Log Pool Pct. Wait: 0.00
Cumulative Consumption (MB): 0.06
Consumption Reset Date/Time: 06/24/01 05:48:00

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC