ADSM-L

Re: RAID5 Vs Mirroring

2001-06-22 10:09:08
Subject: Re: RAID5 Vs Mirroring
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:09:39 -0400
I think either is fine, depending on your needs and throughput requirements.

WHen we started out I had the DB on RAID5, and just mirrored the logs, to
save space.

As we grew, performance on the DB became an issue, so we bought more disk
and switched to physical mirroring on the DB and logs to pick up speed.

We don't mirror or RAID the disk pools, since everything gets flushed to
tape and copied to the copy pool each night.  (If we lost a diskpool volume
the data would be picked up again on the next backup.)

SO whatever works for you, is OK, as long as the data base is protected and
you have enough speed.  With a 115 GB TSM DB, I would be concerned about how
much longer EXPIRE INVENTORY would run, if you put the DB on RAID 5.  But
again, if you aren't having time/performance constraints, go for it...