ADSM-L

Re: Does TSM support the 3581 LTO changer in manual mode?

2001-06-20 13:43:44
Subject: Re: Does TSM support the 3581 LTO changer in manual mode?
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:42:51 -0400
I turned 2 3590-B11's into a single, manual library for a DR test once.  It
was pretty complicated, and I'm not sure if it would covert well to LTOs,
but the devclass and library definitions just need to stay the same and it
works.  You'll get mount requests on the drives (3590's had the front
display panel), you stick in the tape, and then it takes what it needs from
there, and asks for another one.

We (3 people) did over 1800 tape mounts in less than 24 hours on this.  It
was REALLY annoying to see ADSM get on file from a tape, then spit it back
out.  But collocation of offsite tapes isn't a good option, either.  Now,
if we have someone who wants to be "cheap" and not have a library at the
DR, we make them pay for one more person to go, a headcount to handle tape
mounts.  The costs usually balance out, and they get the library.  You may
want to try that yourself.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com