ADSM-L

Data on my tapes

2001-06-20 10:59:25
Subject: Data on my tapes
From: David DeCuir <David.Decuir AT CLUBCORP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:58:06 -0500
Hello,

Ok, how much data are you getting on a 3590 "K" tape. From reading past
posts, I know the Pct Util and Est. Capacity method is suspect at best. All
I need is an average you guys have seen using the following:
assume the tape is full and has had no files expired or reclaimed
3590 E1A drive
devclass FORMAT is set to DRIVE (should I be using something else?)
no client compression
drive compression
3590 extended K tapes

additional info if it helps:
data per tape is either all NT or all UNIX
mostly small files on NT
about half small files on UNIX and half Oracle database files (2-20gb)

The reason I ask is that my best guess seems to be such a wide range - I
think between 60 and 150 gb per tape.
Also, according to est. cap. and pct util, UNIX volumes shows about twice
the capacity of NT volumes

I know IBM says these are 40gb native and 120gb at 3:1 compression but what
is your real world experience of just how much data fits on a tape?

Thanks for your input
David
(still new, but learning everyday)