ADSM-L

Re: Mount Wait with LTO drives

2001-06-11 07:28:18
Subject: Re: Mount Wait with LTO drives
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:29:17 -0400
>We have a 3584 Library with for LTO SCSI drives connected to the SAN using a
>Gateway. When we backup a SQl database, we seem the tape mount within 20
>seconds, but it then seems to take 2 -3 minutes before the data is streamed
>straight to the tape. We are using LAN free backup. Anybody any idea why it
>takes so long to start sending data to the tape?????

You didn't specify whether this was a scratch tape or one that was Filling,
but probably the latter, in which positioning has to occur.
You can check this by watching the drive's display: it will show
Tape Loading...  followed by  Locating...
(It takes 3590s a while to position, too.)
Your level of microcode can influence how long the positioning takes,
with transport speed being the limiting factor.

  Richard Sims, BU