ADSM-L

Backup & Restore time

2001-06-07 02:02:09
Subject: Backup & Restore time
From: Praveen Kumar <pavikumar AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 02:02:09 -0400
Hi all,

I configured TSM 4.1 and TDP for SAP R/3 2.7 on a SUN Solaris system.

Our setup is as follows.

Solaris 7 OS, SAP R/3 4.0B and Oracle 8.0.6 database for SAP.
IBM Magstar 3570 tapeloader with single drive.

I successfully configured TSM 4.1 and TDP for SAP R/3 2.7. We are taking SAP
online/offline backup using SAP brbackup utility. While taking
online/offline backup, tapeloader backs up at the rate of 45GB per hour. (I
enabled RL_COMPRESSION parameter. Means it is set to YES. I have not enabled
the TSM client compression). It is also restoring at the same speed. I can
restore 45GB per hour. For restoration we are using SAP brrestore utility.

My problem is if i take the file system level backup using TSM (dsmc
utility), my backup speed reduces to 30GB per hour and restoration speed
reduces to 22GB per hour. I am taking full filesystem backup not incremental
backups. With the same settings SAP online/offline backup and restore speed
is 45GB per hr. Any tips to improve the filesystem level backup/restore
speed.

All suggestions are most welcome.

Regards

Praveen Kumar