ADSM-L

Re: Recovery log utilization does not drop after DB backup (+ pinned logtail)

2001-06-04 06:39:34
Subject: Re: Recovery log utilization does not drop after DB backup (+ pinned logtail)
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:41:21 +0100
Paul,

I'm not sure that I fully understand this issue regarding a thread having
the recovery log pinned at all.  When we had the last crisis as a result
of the log being pinned I was not on hand at the time of the server crash
and so it was difficult afterwards to piece together what might possibly
have happened to cause it.  There was evidence of a long running session
and I concluded it may have been implicated - but could not actually prove
that.  I now get quite nervous when I spot long running backups (passing
over the 'next DBB INCR') and have tried to observe what happens to the
recovery log utilisation then.

Last week I noticed such a session and curiously when the DBB INCR finished
(as part of our daily houskeeping BKSTG, MIG, DBB) the recovery log reset
to 0.1%.  Now as the session was still active it would still be writing to
the recovery log so 0.1% seemed reasonable.  But the point is, it did reset.
So I conclude that there may be some additional factor involved when the
log gets pinned?  Maybe some error condition that is not handled properly?

[We run in roll-forward mode.]

We first had this problem in 1998 and we don't seem to have made very much
progress in a resolution!  Last time I had a PMR on this it was suggested
I put in a design change request (so it must be working as designed now).

Regards, Sheelagh