ADSM-L

Re: Restores using 3590

2001-06-01 16:32:21
Subject: Re: Restores using 3590
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:33:17 -0400
>I'm trying to generate statistics on restoring from a 3494 library using
>3590E tape drives.  I haven't been able to get a restore rate of more than
>1MB/s.  Is anyone out there doing restores faster than that coming from tape
>using a 3590 tape drive.

Richard - That's very slow.  You haven't told us anything about your
          configuration.  If the client is not co-resident with the server,
then your network may be the cause of the slow-down.  Or perhaps congestion
in the client.  Many are the elements between the tape and the client
file system.  It's something that needs isolation.

As always: Before you commit new hardware to production, you should get
benchmark numbers, at least as part of the hardware acceptance process.
Use something like 'tar' or 'tapeutil' to drive the 3590 to its max speed
and get the baseline numbers for write and read.  Make sure your SCSI adapter
is properly configured, and that there are no mongrel devices on the SCSI
chain to drag the speed down.

  Richard Sims, BU