ADSM-L

Re: backup stgpool

2001-05-24 15:36:17
Subject: Re: backup stgpool
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:37:12 -0400
>All my nightly backups goto a disk storage pool, and are migrated to tape
>later in the day.  I need to start backing up the tape stgpool.
>
>Can i backup to disk storage pool to the copy storage pool first, before
>the disk is migrated to tape?  Will the copy stgpool then "know" that the
>files that were previously on disk volumes have now been moved to tape
>volumes?  Or am in incorrect in my thoughts of how backup stgpool works?

Ray - Yes, the copy stgpool knows that it already has a copy.

Keep in mind that server storage files are not identified by where they are at
the moment, but rather by originating nodename, filespace, and file name
(primarily). Thus, whether the file is in the disk pool because of not yet
having been migrated or caching, and then later in the tape pool, Backup
Stgpool can tell whether there already is a copy in the Copy Storage Pool and
thus not have to make a copy.

  Richard Sims, BU