ADSM-L

Re: How to restore a volume ?

2001-05-21 15:35:31
Subject: Re: How to restore a volume ?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:36:24 -0400
>What is the correct procedure of Deleting a volume (such as DLT ) and
>restoring it back on a new volume with same number ?
>I'm running into a "media fault " problem on one of the DLT's while the
>weekend offsite task is running. The library loads this volume and at one
>point it detects media fault on that DLT and task stops there and goes in
>the loop. I would like to delete this volume and get the data back on a new
>DLT.

If you have a Copy Storage Pool, what you want to do is a Restore Volume.
Lacking that, do Move Data to get as much data off as can be recovered,
repeating on as many drives as you have to make a maximal recovery attempt.
Beyond that you have no in-server backups of the data and may have to
consider it lost.

You may want to consider software and/or firmware updates to deal with
the "loop" situation if it really is that.  (It may simply be time being
taken by the drive to try to re-read the data, making its best effort to
retrieve the information.)

  Richard Sims, BU