ADSM-L

Re: 3494 setup on new host server

2001-05-18 10:43:31
Subject: Re: 3494 setup on new host server
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT RZ.UNI-ULM DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:38:46 +0200
Gina Glenewinkel wrote:

> This weekend I'm moving my ADSM server to a new AIX box and the only part
> I'm really nervous about is the 3494 library.  Can someone point me to a
> good set of procedures for configuring and setting up this library on a new
> host?  The particular piece that concerns me is that the new host is on a
> different subnet than the current server.  Will that involve some routing
> configuration changes on the 3494 itself?
>
> thanks,
> /gina

... using a direct rs232 connection you may just check the current config
i.e.
# lsdev -C -c tape
... something like
rmt0  Available 10-60-00-5,0 4.0 GB 4mm Tape Drive
rmt1  Available 30-68-00-0,0 IBM 3590 Tape Drive and Medium Changer
rmt2  Available 30-68-00-1,0 IBM 3590 Tape Drive and Medium Changer
rmt3  Available 10-70-00-2,0 IBM 3590 Tape Drive and Medium Changer
rmt4  Available 10-70-00-3,0 IBM 3590 Tape Drive and Medium Changer
lmcp0 Available              LAN/TTY Library Management Control Point
#

and see also the file /etc/ibmatl.conf
i.e.
# cat /etc/ibmatl.conf
3494    /dev/tty1 dev-null
#
... to get the  symbolic name of the library you are using

To add again the library manager controlpoint (i.e. /dev/lmcp0 )

-first install the drivers for drives and library you can use
-add the drives with cfgmgr
-add the drives with cfgmgr
-add the direct rs232 ... library manager controlpoint
-add the direct rs232 ... library manager controlpoint
        in this example '3494' is the symbolic name of the library - you
        in this example '3494' is the symbolic name of the library - you
        just replace it with the name of your library
        with
        /etc/methods/defatl -ctape -slibrary -tatl -a library_name='3494'

... this should create the /dev/lmcp0 entry for the library named in the
/etc/ibmatl.conf file

or
        /etc/methods/defatl -ctape -slibrary -tatl -a library_name='3494'
-l'lmcp#'

        ... by replacing # with any other numbers than 0
                if you have otehr definitions

It should just simply match your current definition in adsm

i.e.
tsm: ADSMAIX>q libr

Library Name   Library      Device             Private    Scratch
External
               Type                            Category   Category
Manager
------------   ----------   ----------------   --------   --------
--------------
--------------
3494           349X         /dev/lmcp0         300
3494           349X         /dev/lmcp0         300
301

-
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Rainer Wolf

 Rainer Wolf                  rainer.wolf AT rz.uni-ulm DOT de
 Tel: 0731-50-22482           Fax: 0731-50-22471
 University of Ulm            http://www.uni-ulm.de/urz
 University Computing Center  Albert-Einstein-Allee 11
 AG Basissysteme              89069 Ulm