ADSM-L

Windows 2000 Bare Metal Recovery and System Object restore problem

2001-05-15 16:43:51
Subject: Windows 2000 Bare Metal Recovery and System Object restore problem
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIAGARAMOHAWK DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:43:30 -0400
Our NT admins requested that we build one server(HCB1) from another servers
backups(SYR1).  The servers are Windows 2000 Advanced Server running
service pack one with identical hardware.   Our TSM server is V4.1.2 on AIX
4.3 and the Windows Client is 4.1.2.14.   We used the TSM B/A CLI with the
virtualnodename option to succesfully restore the SYR1 servers C: drive to
the HCB1 server.  We then attempted to restore the system objects but could
not access them from the CLI or the GUI.

We got into TSM GUI on the original server, SYR1, and where able to see the
subfolders under system objects.  Under HCB1 using virualnodename SYR1 we
cannot see the system object subfolders.  We checked the gray box and
attempted the restore but received zero objects inspected or backed up.

We contacted TSM support who informed me that Bare Metal Restore and
associated Redbooks are not supported.  However, after the level one person
spoke to level two, they informed me that you could recover a Windows 2000
server from the ground up if the target system for the restore is the same
local machine name as the original server.  This is due to the fact that
the Windows 2000 System Objects are stored using the local machine name in
TSM and can't be restored to a new location like a drive file space can.

Has anyone else attempted what we tried or does anyone have any comments?
We have been able to restore a server and it's registry to another server
with a new name under Windows NT 4.0, using a temporary copy of NT
installed to a folder called Wintemp, then coming up under the original
name after restore/re-boot using the normal WINNT folder.  It looks like
this is not possible with Windows 2000 and TSM due to the way TSM stores
the system object backups.

Comments?

Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp.