ADSM-L

TSM 4.1 with HP SureStore library

2001-05-14 11:30:24
Subject: TSM 4.1 with HP SureStore library
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:30:39 -0500
For the last couple of days I have been trying to get TSM 4.1 to work with
an HP SureStore 4/40 DLT library without success.

Configuration details:
TSM 4.1.3.2 running on AIX 4.3.3 with patch set .06.
RS/6000 F50 with 6207 ultra diff SCSI adapter.
Library has HVDS adapters.

The Tivoli web site lists the HP 4/40 as a supported device in TSM 4.1.

Working with various levels of Tech Support I was able to successfully
"tar" the contents of /tmp to a tape cartridge in one of the drives.  That
verified functionality of the SCSI adapter, the drive, media, and cabling.

What I can't do is define the library in TSM.

With the library reporting "all ok" and "library ready", I perform these
steps:
I run "cfgmgr" to establish the "rmt" devices for the four drives.
Then I use smitty to define the "lb" device for the library.
The I use smitty to define the "mt" devices for the four drives.

When I submit the DEFINE LIBRARY command I get an I/O error:
ANR8300E I/O error on library HP440LIB (OP=00006C01, CC=321, KEY=FF,
ASC=FF, SENSE=**NONE**,  Description=An undetermined error has occurred)
ANR8418E DEFINE LIBRARY: An I/O error occurred while accessing library
HP440LIB

Has anyone gotten such an HP library to work with TSM?  Does any of the
info above mean anything to anyone on the list?

Thanks in advance.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation