ADSM-L

Re: TSM and MC/Serviceguard Cluster on HP-UX

2001-05-11 12:26:59
Subject: Re: TSM and MC/Serviceguard Cluster on HP-UX
From: Justino Costa <justino.costa AT EDINFOR.EDP DOT PT>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:46:05 +0100
Hi,

I had the same and other problems with SunCluster and solved them in the
following way:

Questions:
     1) How to give different config files to  the logical nodes ?
     2) How to tell physical and logical nodes which file systems belong to
them ?

Response to 1)

I keep the config files for each tsm client like this:

In node1:
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/node1/dsm.sys
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/node1/dsm.opt
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/node1/en_US ->
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/en_US

     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/cluster1/dsm.sys
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/cluster1/dsm.opt
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/cluster1/en_US ->
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/en_US

In node2:
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/node2/dsm.sys
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/node2/dsm.opt
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/node2/en_US ->
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/en_US

     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/cluster1/dsm.sys
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/cluster1/dsm.opt
     /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/cluster1/en_US ->
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/en_US

NOTE: You can choose different names for dsm.opt and use the command line
option "-optionfile=FILENAME" with dsmc. However, since there is no command
line option to indicate which "dsm.sys" file to use, you may have a problem
if you want "dsm.sys" of node1 to be different from dsm.sys of cluster1.
That's why I prefer to keep the files in separet dirs.

Now,

To backup Node1,  I do:

     [root@node1] # . tsm_env node1     <<<---- see the dot at the begining
;-)
     [root@node1] # dsmc inc

To  backup cluster1 that is now running on *Node1*, I do:

     [root@node1] # . tsm_env cluster1
     [root@node1] # dsmc inc

or to backup cluster1 that is now running on *Node2*, I do:

     [root@node2] # . tsm_env cluster1
     [root@node2] # dsmc inc

The catch is that the "tsm_env" script changes the "DSM_CONFIG" and
"DSM_DIR" environment variables to point to the correct place:

#!/usr/bin/ksh

if [ '/usr/bin/tsm_env' = "$0" ] || [ 'tsm_env' = "$0" ] ; then
        unset CLIENT
else
        CLIENT=$1
fi ;

if [ "help" = ${CLIENT} ] || [ ! "${CLIENT}" ] ; then
        echo "\nSYNOPSIS:\n\t  . tsm_env { CLIENTE_NAME | help | clear }
\n\n"

elif [ "clear" = ${CLIENT} ] ;  then
        echo "Clearing TSM environment variables... \n"
        unset DSM_DIR DSM_CONFIG

else
        echo "\nSetting TSM environment variabables for client=\"${CLIENT}
\" \n";
        DIR=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/${CLIENT}/;
        export    DSM_DIR=${DIR};
        export    DSM_CONFIG=${DIR}dsm.opt;
fi
shift $#

Response to 2)

Suppose,

Node1 has 3 file systems:  / , /opt  and /var           <<-- on local disks
Node2 has 4 file systems:  /, /opt, /var and /export    <<-- on local disks
Cluster1 has 2 file systems: /app/appl1, /app/data1     <<-- on shared
disks

In the Include/exclude files of *both* node1 and node 2, you add the
following tsm options:

     exclude.fs /app/appl1
     exclude.fs /app/data1

In the Cluster1 "dsm.sys" file you add:

     domain /app/appl1
     domain /app/data1

Now, what happens is this when you run a backup:

     Node1: Will *ignore* the cluster's file systems    ---> (/app/appl1
and /app/data1)
     Node1: Will backup it's local file systems    ---> (/, /opt and /var)

     Node2: Will *ignore* the cluster's file systems    ---> (/app/appl1
and /app/data1)
     Node2: Will backup it's local file systems    ---> (/, /opt/, /var and
/export)

     Cluster1: Will *only* backup it's file systems     ---> (/app/appl1
and /app/data1)

Hope this helps,
Justino Costa
justino.costa AT edinfor.edp DOT pt

Kurt Beyers <kurt.beyers AT DOLMEN DOT BE>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 10-05-2001 13:47:09

Please respond to kurt.beyers AT dolmen DOT be