ADSM-L

Re: reclaim offsite stgpool volumes

2001-05-10 10:19:33
Subject: Re: reclaim offsite stgpool volumes
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:01:51 -0400
Geoff,

You ask if you are letting it run long enough.  Do you actually cancel
the reclaim process?  Just raising the reclaim threshhold at 7 pm should
not stop the process.

If you are cancelling the process, then you are running offsite reclaim
like the old Greek math/philosophy question -- if a grasshopper jumps
half the distance to a wall will it ever reach the wall? (I don't know the
answer either).

The way offsite reclaims work is that all the eligible volumes are identified,
then the good files on all those volumes are sorted together in order
of the primary pool volumes that the unexpired files are on.  Then
the process starts mounting the primary pool volumes and rebacking up the
unexpired files.  If you don't let the process finish it is possible
for none of the offsite volumes to reach empty; they may all have just one
file on them that would have been recopied from the last primary volume
that didn't get mounted because of the cancel.
When you restart offsite reclaim, a new volume may enter the
process and possibly every primary volume needs to be mounted again.

Try running a reclaim=99 process and let if finish.  That should be short
and should put the 0.0% and full volumes into empty status.

--