ADSM-L

Re: reclaim spoy stgpool volumes

2001-05-10 09:54:53
Subject: Re: reclaim spoy stgpool volumes
From: Jon Milliren <jon.milliren AT IA.PITT DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:37:25 -0400
Robin Sharpe wrote:

> Not necessarily...  if there are FILLING tapes in the pool being reclaimed,
> they will be used before calling for a scratch.

        If the tapes are access=offsite and are reclaimed, how can they be used
until they come back onsite and have their access mode updated?

        BTW, I realized that I made a goof that may or may not have something
to do reclaim. My "offsite" volumes (I'm practicing to be ready when dr
gets going for real) were still access=readwrite!!! I updated the tape
location (I guess that's sort of a comment???) but never changed the
access mode... I just realized that today when my scheduled backup stg
command asked me for one of my "offsite" volumes as an output volume.
Good thing I'm making all these goofs now... =)

> My concerns have been just the opposite... we've found that it is very
> painful if you run out of scratch tapes!

        I'm sure. I'm hoping that that doesn't happen to me, and is another
reason I'm concerned about reclaim and rotation. My copypool is an 8
slot single drive library and I had it in mind to keep it stocked with
scratch volumes. I thought as scratch volumes would fill because of my
scheduled copy stg, an equal amount of data on my offsite volumes would
be freed. So I was hoping that as I got things running smooth I would be
sending out volumes and getting empty scratch volumes back once a week.
At any rate, I have a bunch of tapes for scratch if I need them,
checking them in is a bit of a hassle, but I think that the library can
hold enough tapes to avoid that. I'm sure I'll find that out too...

Jon

--
Jon Milliren
Jon Milliren