ADSM-L

Re: reclaim spoy stgpool volumes

2001-05-09 15:11:58
Subject: Re: reclaim spoy stgpool volumes
From: Jon Milliren <jon.milliren AT IA.PITT DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:17:11 -0400
Hi all,

Lindsay Morris wrote:

> does "q vol stg=copypool" show you any volumes with a "pct util" less than
> 60%?

        Here you go... Question, how does Pct Utilization come into play with
respect to reclaim? I usually go by the "Pct Reclaimable Space" in the
web gui. Could this be where I'm making my mistake? I use the web gui
for checking storage pools, volumes, etc, and the cli for issuing
command and viewing the actlog and client events. Anyhow, you can see
that 3 volumes are under 60% utilized, 2 of which were in my offsite
locate (vols 0001 to 0008). The remaining volumes are in the library. I
do a nightly copy stg for both of my primary pools (disk and tape).

adsm> q vol stg=copypool

Volume Name               Storage      Device      Estimated    Pct
Volume
                          Pool Name    Class Name   Capacity   Util
Status
                                                        (MB)
------------------------  -----------  ----------  ---------  -----
--------
--------
DLT00001                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    36,063.2   55.7
DLT00001                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    36,063.2   55.7
Full
DLT00002                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    35,677.2   64.4
Full
DLT00003                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    49,671.5   68.6
Full
DLT00004                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    73,638.1   73.8
Full
DLT00005                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    58,195.2   96.1
Full
DLT00006                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    47,009.5   60.5
Full
DLT00007                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    20,660.3  100.0
Full
DLT00008                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    41,500.5   52.2
Filling
DLT00010                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    89,129.7   31.8
Filling
DLT00011                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    36,274.1   93.1
Filling
DLT00015                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    20,480.0    6.1
Filling
DLT00016                  COPYPOOL     AUTOCLASS    78,390.8   67.3
Full

> try "q actlog begind=-3 s=recla" and see if reclamation even tried to start.

        Ok, here is that...
adsm> q actlog begind=-3 search=recla

Date/Time
Message
--------------------
05/08/01   09:16:31  ANR2017I Administrator MJON issued command: QUERY
05/08/01   09:16:31  ANR2017I Administrator MJON issued command: QUERY
ACTLOG

search=RECLA
05/08/01   09:16:55  ANR2017I Administrator MJON issued command: QUERY
ACTLOG

seatch=RECLAMATION
05/08/01   09:17:14  ANR2017I Administrator MJON issued command: QUERY
ACTLOG

search=RECLAMATION
05/08/01   09:17:49  ANR2017I Administrator MJON issued command: QUERY
ACTLOG
                      begind=-10
search=RECLAMATION
05/08/01   09:20:30  ANR2017I Administrator MJON issued command: UPDATE
STGPOOL
                      COPYPOOL DESCRIPTION="Copy storage pool for
DR"
                      ACCESS=READWRITE COLLOCATE=NO RECLAIM=60
MAXSCRATCH=250

REUSEDELAY=2
05/08/01   10:01:46  ANR2017I Administrator MJON issued command: UPDATE
STGPOOL
                      COPYPOOL DESCRIPTION="Copy storage pool for
DR"
                      ACCESS=READWRITE COLLOCATE=NO RECLAIM=40
MAXSCRATCH=250

REUSEDELAY=2
05/09/01   08:30:57  ANR2017I Administrator MJON issued command: QUERY
ACTLOG
                      begind=-3
search=recla

        I've been checking a lot. You can also see where I've tried setting the
reclaim threshold to 60 and 40. Anyhow, reclaim hasn't started despite
my desperate flailing =).

> If it did, do a second "q actlog" and look at all the messages right after
> that time - maybe they explain why it turned off.
>
> Then send us "q stg copypool f=d".

        Here you go...

adsm> q stg copypool f=d

               Storage Pool Name: COPYPOOL
               Storage Pool Type: Copy
               Device Class Name: AUTOCLASS
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 12,222,706.7
                        Pct Util: 3.1
                        Pct Migr:
                     Pct Logical: 98.2
                    High Mig Pct:
                     Low Mig Pct:
                 Migration Delay:
              Migration Continue:
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold:
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: No
           Reclamation Threshold: 40
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 250
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 2 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?:
            Amount Migrated (MB):
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds):
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): MJON
           Last Update Date/Time: 05/08/01   10:01:46

        Hope this sparks an idea. To me, everything looks like it should. I
must be missing something obvious.

Jon

--
Jon Milliren