ADSM-L

Re: Win2k and IBM LTO 3584 Cluster

2001-05-02 22:55:33
Subject: Re: Win2k and IBM LTO 3584 Cluster
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:01:43 -0500

"Kelly J. Lipp" wrote:
>Not that I know of.  The only way I know of to do this is to use SAN
>technology: connect your system via fiber to a switch.  Connect the drives
>and library to a scsi to fiber box (this thing has a name but it eludes me
>right now).  Your data path is thus via fiber which is essentially shared.

I have a customer who had their 7337 tape library twin-tailed to two
RS/6000 boxes in an HA configuration. Both servers could talk to the
library just fine. (They no longer have their HA configuration, and the
library refuses to behave now, but that's another question.) Whether
this could be done or not with Win2K is anybody's guess.

A smarter configuration, IMO, would be to attach the library to one
server, and set up server-to-server communication and enable library
sharing. I'd also *seriously* have more than two tape drives in my
library. One drive dies or is tied up with restores, and all of your
two-tape operations (reclamation, move data, backup stg, etc.) go belly
up.