ADSM-L

Re: Upgrade Problems From L18 to L32 Library?..

2001-05-02 10:17:27
Subject: Re: Upgrade Problems From L18 to L32 Library?..
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 10:17:31 -0400
I guess you mean an IBM 3575 library?  We upgraded a 3575-L24 to L32 about 6
months ago.  You are actually getting new library but is similar.

Notes from this, it's pretty simple.

1.  Halt *SM server so it can be restarted when new library is ready and pick
up new slots/configuration.  Make sure no schedules will start when you restart
server so you can check things out before it tries to access drives/library.

2.  If you are adding drives then you have to define them after they are
installed as you did current drives.

3.  The element/slot numbers change.  See 3575 Operator Guide GA32-0381 for
chart of all models element addresses.  You can just physically move tapes to
new library and do an audit on new library.  (Note cleaning cartridge handling
and operations.)

4.  Check inside new library with a GOOD light and make sure all "slots" are
aligned and snapped in completely.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> RLake AT AXIAL-TBG DOT COM 05/02/01 02:48AM >>>
Hi Chaps,

We may be upgrading our L18 library soon to an L32.

I was just wondering what problems I might expect to come across - and also any
ideas on how to transfer the tapes over, etc...Do I have to check them out, or
can I just remove them physically, put them into the new library and run an
audit?...

Will I have to remove the devices and re-add them or does an L32 have the same
element id's etc...?

Any comments and suggestions would be greatfully accepted.

Kind Regards,

Roy Lake
RS/6000 & Tivoli Storage Manager Systems Administrator
Axial (UK) Ltd
Tel: 0208 526 8883
E-Mail: rlake AT axial-tbg DOT com

** IMPORTANT INFORMATION **
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the Intended
Recipient")
to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is privileged and
confidential
within the meaning of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination,
distribution, copying
or other use of this message or any of its content by any person other than the
Intended
Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly
prohibited.

The views in this message or it's attachments are that of the sender.

If you are not the Intended Recipient please contact the sender and dispose of
this email
as soon as possible. If in doubt contact the Tibbett & Britten European IT
Helpdesk
on 0870 607 6777 (UK) or +0044 870 607 6777 (Non UK).

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 05/02/01 10:19:18
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.