ADSM-L

Re: Oracle export and ADSM 3.1 and archivng export files

2001-04-30 10:37:34
Subject: Re: Oracle export and ADSM 3.1 and archivng export files
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:33:19 -0400
Quoting Ivan Drvaric <ivan.drvaric AT ZAV-MB DOT SI>:

> Hello,
>
> After providing regular hot backup methods I have to provide export
> files
> as
> an archive method for state of database on date D.
>
> Since the size of export files is very big
> ( database size in length of datafiles is cca. 500 Gb ) my question
> is:
> I am dealing with the problem how to safely archive
> very big export files ( produced by Oracle exp utility ) to ADSM 3.1
> devices
> so that there would be no intermideate disk files( I don't have
> another
> disk storage for export files ) because I use all available storage
> for
> primary storage pool and ADSM.
>
> So I am looking for any possibility of PIPING export files ( possibly
> compressed )
> to some PIPE device so that adsm device could write to its devices.

If you are using SQL-BackTrack to do the hot backups, you can use the
software to run exports without intermediate disk files. You might be
able to do the same if you are using Tivoli Data Protection for Oracle,
but I do not have detailed information on that point. If you are not
using either of these products, you may be out of luck. IBM once
distributed an unsupported program called adsmpipe, which would read
data from standard input and send the data to an ADSM server. This
program could have served as the last stage of the pipeline described
above. Tivoli has not updated adsmpipe so that it will work correctly
with TSM. They reportedly claim that adsmpipe has been rendered
superfluous by improvements in the backup/archive client and the
Tivoli Data Protection family of products.