ADSM-L

Re: Archive retention adjustment

2001-04-24 14:31:03
Subject: Re: Archive retention adjustment
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:31:39 -0400
>If I have a retention on an archive copygroup set to 365 days first.  I
>archive 300 Gigs of data.
>  30 days later, I set the retention to 2558 days. Will any files expire
>after the 365 days,
>or will all of the files previously backed up use the new retention policy?

Jeff - The archived files conform to your most recent setting for
       retention period.  I had much the same situation myself, where
it was originally decided that archive files would be kept for a year -
and 10 months into that year it was decided to keep them for years
longer.  Two and a half years later, we still have all the files that
were archived, from the very first ones, onward.
    Thinking in the other direction, there is certainly opportunity for
disaster, if someone unfamiliar with TSM administration came along while
you were on vacation and change the retention to 30 days.  That could
be a long-running and quite thorough expiration run.

  Richard Sims, BU