ADSM-L

Re: LTO Performance

2001-04-20 14:00:28
Subject: Re: LTO Performance
From: Don Avart <donavart AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:01:12 -0700
Debbie,
One of the things that may be misleading by doing a
tar test is the read performance of the disk that the
tar file is on.  You can use the dd command with
if=/dev/zero to stream null characters from memory to
the device.  Example

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rmt1 bs=1024 count=1000

This will write 1 MB of data to this device.  Precede
the string with timex to see how fast you can write
the file.  Adjust the block size and count to create
larger data stream.

I would be very interested in seeing what kind of
performance you are getting from these drives.