ADSM-L

Re: LTO Performance

2001-04-20 13:39:25
Subject: Re: LTO Performance
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:40:09 -0400
>We recently upgraded our 3466 model A01 with two 3575 tape libraries to a
>3466 model C01 with a 3584 tape library.  We also upgraded from ADSM 3.1.1
>to TSM 4.1.  I have begun to notice that our tape operations are taking
>significantly longer than they did before. ...

Debbie - I think many of us have been wondering what the reality of 3583
         LTO Ultrium tape drives would be, and your posting may incite
more exploration.  As I understand the LTO initiative, Ultrium was
intended to sacrifice performance for capacity, while the Accelis flavor
was to favor performance but offer limited capacity.  My reading says that
Accelis development was abandoned in favor of the higher capacity that
the marketplace would want with Ultrium.  But your question makes me
wonder how much performance may have been compromised.

Perform the tar test that Paul recommended and let us know what you
are able to determine.

  thanks,  Richard Sims, BU