ADSM-L

Re: What is the diff between LAN-free and Server-Free backups

2001-04-18 16:19:07
Subject: Re: What is the diff between LAN-free and Server-Free backups
From: George Lesho <glesho AT AFCE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:21:41 -0500
LAN free backup means that data goes from the client to the storage device via
fibre channel. Only "meta data", the overhead associated with the backup
application travel between the client and backup server. In a Server Free backup
environment, the device which provides the interface between the SCSI attached
storage device and the fibre channel attached Storage server also has a bit more
smarts and will receive the data from the client and control the storage device.
The server issues meta data commands to the interface device but there is a big
reduction in the amount of data that the server needs to handle.

George Lesho
Storage/System Admin
AFC Enterprises

Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU> on 04/18/2001 01:44:55 PM