ADSM-L

Re: When to reclaim copy storage pools

2001-04-18 13:03:16
Subject: Re: When to reclaim copy storage pools
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:03:59 -0700
In speaking about this I'm assumming collocation for onsite and
no collocation for offsite.  I only send FULL tapes offsite once a week.
So with that said ....

Unless you have an infinite supply of tapes to use for offsite
you really need to manage its growth.

There's other reasons as well.  If you have an onsite tape go bad
how many offsites tapes can you tolerate recalling for recovery???
The more fragmented your offsite pool is the more tapes you will need to
recall.

Also, god forbid, you have a disaster and need to mount all those offsite
tapes in a recovery machine.  Do you have enough slots??

I have a 200 3590-J library with collocation on and I have 233 3590-J's
offsite to match that data.  At any one time there are 2 weeks of pending
tapes (30 each week) also in storage and 1 set in transit back/forth.

I figure the offsite tapes that are pending will make great scratches.
Are scratch tapes included in your disaster recovery plan????  :-)

.. joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
   joef AT socrates.berkeley DOT edu