ADSM-L

Re: 3590E1A Vs LTO

2001-04-17 19:14:07
Subject: Re: 3590E1A Vs LTO
From: "Caffey, Jeff L." <jlcaffey AT PIER1 DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:14:47 -0500
Dave,

Although I hear that the 3590's are the "Cadillac" of the tape world, the
LTO is supposed to be a close second.  I've seen restore speeds of UP TO
around 25 GB/hr on AIX directories that contain larger files.  On NT
directories that contain many small files, the performance drops
dramatically!  It still beats DLT, but NT apparently can't handle streaming
data as well as AIX.  That's where the 3590 is supposed to be the king -
when it has to stop & start while NT catches up.

We're running a dual-proc 1GB-RAM H80 (AIX 4.3.3) w/ TSM 4.3.2 for our
server.  Clients are 13 AIX and 130 NT boxes, all with the "4.something"
client version.  We have a 3584 library with 5 LTO (Ultrium) drives (and
we're looking at adding at least two more drives very soon).  The TSM server
connects to the LTO library via McData ED-5000 SAN director & 2108 gateways.
Our disk pools are on both local SSA disk and a shark.

My personal opinion is to use ONE TYPE of tape for both onsite and offsite
backups.  Since TSM will handle this, why not let it do the work?  Have a
script kickoff a copy job after all your backups have finished.  Then send
one copy of your tapes offsite.

Thank you,

Jeff Caffey
Enterprise Systems Programmer
(AIX & Storage Administrator)
Pier 1 imports, Inc.  -  Information Services
jlcaffey AT pier1 DOT com
Voice: (817) 252-6222
Fax:   (817) 252-7299