ADSM-L

CLEAN ARCHDIR command

2001-04-17 11:38:47
Subject: CLEAN ARCHDIR command
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:25:03 -0500
I've spoken to Tivoli about this, but I still don't have all the info...

My TSM DB is filled with archive directory garbage from our main CAD
server.  Before the introduction of the ARCHSYML switch, the ADSM client
followed circular links to create entries such as:

/dir1/file1
/dir1/dir2/dir1/file1
/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/file1

and so forth.

When I tried to do an archive delete operation on the client, the TSM
server download 1.2 GB (!) of "list" information before the session hung
and then could not be killed.  I had to halt TSM and bounce the server.

Tivoli Tech Support suggested I run the CLEAN ARCHDIR command to fix that
situation.  But, the syntax of the command in TSM 4.1 is very different
from the syntax in ADSM 3.1.2.90 where it was introduced.
I now have the syntax for TSM 4.1, but I don't have any info on the command
itself, nor on the context of the action switches.

Specifically, if I run  CLEAN  ARCHDIR  DELETEDIRS
what exactly happens to my existing two years of CAD file archives?
 what happens when I try to retrieve an existing archived file?
 what happens when the next archive job is run on that server?

and so forth.

Thanks in advance.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator