ADSM-L

AW: file name too long when?

2001-04-15 11:50:13
Subject: AW: file name too long when?
From: sal Salak Juraj <sal AT KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:04:41 +0200
up to my knowledge,
TSM respects the limits of underlying file system.

A years ago I had similar problem,
it turned out to be caused by really too long names,
too long in terms of NTFS.

However, we were able to create such long names in NT with following
scenario:
mount a directory , e.g. c:\tmp\ under drive letter (D:).
Now create files under d:. Limits apply to sum of directory name length plus

file name length. Create file with maximum file length.
Now access same file using c:\tmp path.
In this case, the file name increased by length("c:\tmp"),
thus went beyond allowe limits.

I forgot the exact limit,
I do not know exact versions of NT where this behaviour
apply and whether it changed in later version,
so you only can check whether this might be your problem.

regards
Juraj Salak
Linz, Austria