ADSM-L

Re: Windows Client Support of LTO drives

2001-04-11 08:26:36
Subject: Re: Windows Client Support of LTO drives
From: Bruce Lowrie <b.e.lowrie AT DOWCORNING DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:27:16 -0400
Mark,
I was testing HP's Ultrium 230 External tape drive on a Compaq Proliant
server. The local OS recognized the drive and I could do a local backup and
restore using NT Backup (Just testing of course!). We have another single
external IBM LTO connected to our TSM server (AIX). What I wanted was the
ability to create a backset at the server to the locally attached LTO drive.
Then I could take this portable media to an NT server with a locally
attached LTO drive and using the TSM Windows client perform a restore from
the Locally attached LTO drive. But appears that the new LTO drives are not
a supported Tape device for performing this task, here is an excerpt from
the 4.1.2.12 docs.

The backup set is usually stored on media like tape, CD-ROMs, JAZ disks, or
ZIP disks. These tape devices are supported: DLT, 4mm, 8mm, 3590, and 3570.

Bruce E. Lowrie
Sr. Systems Analyst
Global Information Technology Services
Storage, Output, Legacy
*E-Mail:  b.e.lowrie AT dowcorning DOT com
*Voice: ?(517) 496-6404
*Post:    Mail: CO2111, (DC2 1st Floor)