ADSM-L

Re: TSM/3494/9310

2001-04-10 15:13:56
Subject: Re: TSM/3494/9310
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:14:35 -0400
Well, I can tell you a few things.
We run TSM on an AIX 4.3.3 box, using 9840 drives in a 9710 library driven
by ACSLS.
We are not sharing the robot with any other application, but I think the
setup will be the same.

The only thing that passes through ACSLS is robotic commands, not data.
The backup data still has to flow over a SCSI cable.  So the first thing you
will need to do is run SCSI cables from your AIX host to the 2 drives.

I don't know if a 9840 can be twin-tailed to more than one host; I doubt it,
but you could ask STK.  Certainly while the drive is online to TSM, it can
be used only by TSM, it can't be shared with any application running on the
Solaris box.

The next thing you will need to do is download the TSM ACSLS support module
for your level of TSM and install it with SMIT.
You will need statements in your /etc/inittab to bring up the two daemons
that provide the interface to ACSLS.  They must be started BEFORE TSM comes
up.

Use SMIT to create TSM device-special files for the two drives.
Then find out from your STK person (or whoever is working with ACSLS now)
what the ACSLS device address is for each drive - you will need the ACSLS
address, as well as the AIX address for the DEFINE DRIVE command..

Then you will need to define the Powderhorn as a new Library to TSM, and a
new DEVCLASS for the drives, and a new sequential storage pool.  Then define
the drives.  There are special parms on DEFINE LIBRARY and DEFINE DRIVE that
you use when the library is ACSLS driven.

You will need figure out how to segregate the TSM tapes in the Powderhorn
from the Solaris application that is using it.  When TSM uses a tape, it
puts an ACSLS lock on the tape so no other ACSLS application can access it.
But you will need to think about how you will set up tape pools in the
Powderhorn and do your CHECKINS so as to NOT stomp on the tapes used by the
Solaris application.  It isn't hard, you just need to make sure you don't
CHECKIN any Solaris tapes to TSM.

You will need to label your 9840 scratch tapes (to be used by TSM), and
check them in.  CHECKIN/CHECKOUT  operations are a little bit different with
a TSM ACSLS library than with a SCSI library.  And DRM MOVE MEDIA will NOT
do an automatic checkout from an ACSLS library, if you are using DRM, you
have a problem.  So managing the library will take some getting used to.

Because you have a new library and devclass, you will need to figure out
WHAT DATA you want to send to this new library.  TSM will not let you use
different devclasses for the same storage pool, so any DATA you will send to
these drives must go to a different storage pool than your existing data.
This creates  some management questions about what data you are going to
send to the Powderhorn.

Now if you still want to do this, I will be happy to send you my DEFINE
DRIVE/DEFINE LIBRARY statements and /etc/inittab statements you can use as
an example.

ANd maybe there is someone else out there with a shared ACSLS library that
can give you some more specifics.