ADSM-L

Re: Completing reclaims

2001-04-10 11:04:34
Subject: Re: Completing reclaims
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:04:30 -0400
If you still have the physical volumes, then they may be o.k.  Do a "q vol ###
f=d" on each of them and see if they are destroyed or what is the "access" mode
of them.  If they are not destroyed then you should be able to recover them or
use them as is.  If they are marked as destroyed, you may be able to use upd
vol to change the access back to say " readonly" so you can attempt to "move
data" from them.

Last option is to do "restore volume" for data that can't be read.  Use
"preview=yes" option for each volume and then look at actlog and it will show
what tapes are needed to restore the volume.  (Whwen you start an actual
restore on a volume it marks the old volume as destroyed but doesn;t delete it
until all, the data has been "restored".

I have done a number of restores in last few months after having tapes broken
in tape drives.

Hope I understood your question/situation and this helps.  Matbe someone else
may have additional info or insight.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US 04/10/01 10:39AM >>>
Hi:
Our problem with drives on our newly fibre attached 3590 drives was apparantly
resolved by updating the microcode. However, in the interim we had 10
cartridges that became unavailable and would not return to available status
after the upgrade. They were then marked destroyed.

However, we still have some 40 offsite copypool volumes that will not reclaim
and remain 99 % reclaimable. I assume the remaining files were on the volumes
marked destroyed.

Any suggestions as to how to complete reclamation on these copypool volumes?

Larry Clark
NYS Thruway Authority

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 04/10/01 11:05:06
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.