ADSM-L

Re: AIX Gurus.. .Help Needed..

2001-04-06 11:39:14
Subject: Re: AIX Gurus.. .Help Needed..
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:39:18 -0500
Richard,

I recommend you obtain the AIX Performance Tuning Redbook, SG 244989.

Basically, AIX does memory mapped disk I/O.  When a page of a disk file is
accessed, AIX maps a page of memory to it.  That memory page stays mapped
until it is needed somewhere else.  "Free" doesn't qualify as "somewhere
else" unless the amount of free memory drops below the threshold that you
can set with vmtune.

So eventually, all "free" memory get puts to some use.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation

"Dearman, Richard" <rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 04/06/2001