ADSM-L

Wanted: Unix client done right

2001-04-05 11:31:10
Subject: Wanted: Unix client done right
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:31:43 -0400
We have a number of HP-UX 11.0 clients doing backups to a 3.7.4.0
server running under OS/390. We upgraded the software on most of
these clients from 3.1.0.6 to 3.7.0.0. The clients started suffering
recurrent backup failures because of a bug that results in the
message "Unknown system error. Return code 195." I recently upgraded
a number of these clients to 3.7.2.16, which has a fix for that bug.
The newly upgraded clients are generating the message "aCC runtime:
ERROR: _main() not called." when a dsmc command or a program using
the TSM API interface terminates. The backups appear to be successful,
but the system administrators involved are still nervous about the
messages. One of them is now proposing that I install 4.1 client code.
Given Tivoli's recent track record, this will probably just trade one
set of annoying quirks for another, with a significant probability
that the new set will do more real harm.

Is there any 4.1 client level for HP-UX that is free of glaringly
obvious defects? Tivoli claims that 4.1 clients are compatible with
3.7 servers. Are there any compatability issues that Tivoli is not
acknowledging?