ADSM-L

Opinions on default backup retention periods

2001-04-04 21:17:06
Subject: Opinions on default backup retention periods
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:17:23 +1000
Hi All,

I'm attempting to move TSM from being a point backup solution for a particular
application to an enterprise solution, in an environment where the customer is
king (and thinks he knows it all).

As most application owners are used to individual tape dumps, I'm getting a lot
of requests to just duplicate what the tapes did, i.e daily backup kept for a
week, a weekly archive kept for a month and and a monthly archive kept for a
year, with no exclusions.

I inherited the management classes here and the default is unlimited versions,
retextra 28, retonly 365

So far I've kept with this as it mostly saves me having to run those monthly
archives, but as the empire expands I'm having a lot of trouble with temporary
and uniquely named files  hanging around for a full year.  Its not a problem
now but will be if I don't address the issue. I started coding exclude lists,
but as every machine has a different setup it is hard to come up with general
rules (e.g. two NT servers set up and maintained by the same people, one has
oracle archive logs in \oraarchive and the other in \ora_archive)  so the
task will quickly get out of hand.

I can encourage users in the long term as we will soon set up a billing
strategy, but it is a government department and it will take at least a year
for billing to bite.

So, what default retentions are you using? and how do you discourage monthly
archives of everything?

To keep traffic on the list down, email direct to steve_harris AT
health.qld.gov DOT au and I'll collate and post a summary.

Thanks

Steve.