ADSM-L

Re: Backup of Remote Sites

2001-04-04 14:19:09
Subject: Re: Backup of Remote Sites
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:19:38 -0400
We do it for some small machines.  It works.  The answer is, of course "it
depends on your situation."
These are small machines that aren't terribly critical - if we lost one, we
could take 24 hours to rebuild it and the users would still be happy (give
that their other choice is to have to recustomize).

If your clients are very large, or very time critical, it is less likely to
work for you.
Maybe this is a case where you want to back up just a few directories, not
the whole C: drive.
I would definitely turn on client compression.

This is also a good case for trying to use backupsets.
If they need a massive restore, you create a backupset on your end,
cut a CD, then fed-ex it overnight, and restore it there from the CD.

Just depends on what your requirements are for that system.
And giving it a try is harmless, the TSM backups won't interfere with their
current NT backups.
So you could also do both - use the ntbackup for local stuff, then use the
TSM backup as a failsafe/offsite backup in case the local is indeed
unreliable/not done.

Try one and see how it works out!