ADSM-L

Backup of Remote Sites

2001-04-04 11:58:27
Subject: Backup of Remote Sites
From: David Nash <daven AT GRAINSYSTEMS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:50:05 -0500
I have a question for all of the *SM/Network experts
out there.  We have a central office that we just
started using TSM at.  We also have several remote
offices that are connected to central office via
dedicated lines.  Theses sites currently are running
their own backups via NTBackup.  We are concerned that
these backups are unreliable/not offsite/not being done.
The dedicated lines are mostly 256Kbs lines but a few
are smaller.  Is it a good idea to try to back up these
sites across the WAN using *SM?  We realize that the first
backup would take a while, but after we suffer through that,
the amount of changed data would be small.  Is it a good
idea in this case to turn on client compression?  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--David Nash
  Systems Administrator