ADSM-L

Re: Audit Library Unsuccessful

2001-03-27 13:11:01
Subject: Re: Audit Library Unsuccessful
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:11:32 -0500
I have your identical config except have TSM 3.7.4.0 server.  I also have Atape
drive 5.3.9.0 - probably not most recent but fairly so.  If your much behind
this, I would update it from IBM.  I have not had this specific problem, but
have had some problems.  Several things to check.

1.  Run the audit and if you get an "Unable to read.." error then run it a
second time and see if it comes up.  The first time it is adjusting TSM to
match library so second time should be no problem.  It there is I would suspect
TSM problem, not library.  (Also when manuallly pulling /reinserting tapes it's
easy to get them one slot off etc.  I have done it.  I always do an audit if I
have been in library.

2.  You can do another check with tapeutil.  (The Atape drive usitily that TSM
uses to talk to library).  Do theis command:
tapeutuil -f /dev/smc0 inventory > tapelist
Your /dev/smc0 may be different.  This can be run with TSM up AND drives being
used.  You may get a "Busy" message, if so wait a minute and run again.  It
takes only about20-30 seconds.  Comapre the tapelist to TSM q libvol.  Tapelist
is in element order and shows if anything is robots, I/O station and drives.
If a tape is in drives it's home element is shown also.  This list is
"realtime" of where tapes are in library.

3.  You could have a barcode reader problem but this would most likely show up
in actlog or on Error log on LCD OP stations of 3575.   Do the tapes actual
labels look o.k.?

4.  How is library configured?  Is it just One Logical libray or more?  Do you
just have the 2 top I/O ports or the additional 14?

I have ONe library and 2 i/o ports.

Some starting thoughts...

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> rcook AT ROTECH DOT COM 03/27/01 12:54PM >>>
I have a 3575 L32 on AIX 4.3.3 and TSM 4.1.2. I had to manually inventory
mine using a printout from "select home_element, volume_name from libvolumes
order by home_element". I removed any that were not on the list and checked
out the ones that were on the list but not in the library. Now the audit
library completes successfully, yet every time I get the "Unable to read
barcode..." message. I compare what is in the slot to what the system says
should be there (same), then pull the tape and re-insert it. Then the
library does its init element to rescan. I run audit db and a different slot
will give the error. I have went through this cycle four times. Any request
for the tape in error work fine, though. Any suggestions?

Roger C Cook
RCG Information Services